Myths of Indoor Tanning — Busted!

A girl tanning on the beach

Indoor tanning is extremely common in the United States. More than 7.8 million adults in the United States still rely on indoor tanning to get their desired complexion.

This practice usually involves using a tanning booth or a tanning bed to get your desired skin complexion.

Given indoor tanning’s widespread use, it’s only natural that people started perpetuating myths about it. Today, many people have misconceptions regarding indoor tanning and what it entails, which is why we’ve created this blog post to help dispel some of these myths.

Tanning Myths Busted

Here are some of the commonly held myths that we’ll be dispelling:

Needing a Base Tan

Many people choose to get a base tan before jetting off on vacation, believing that their tan will help them get a bronzer look when sunbathing by the beach. However, this commonly held misconception couldn’t be farther from the truth.

A base tan isn’t only unnecessary but also harmful to your skin. A tan indicates signs of skin damage, and additional tanning atop a base tan can result in your skin getting irreparable damage. Moreover, repeated sun exposure can cause your skin to thicken and become leathery.

Tanning is Necessary for Vitamin D

If you live in a northern state with limited sun exposure, you’ve likely heard people incessantly repeat that tanning is essential for maintaining healthy levels of vitamin D.

However, that’s false. You don’t need to tan and accrue skin damage to maintain healthy levels of vitamin D. Instead, an appropriate diet and supplementation can help ensure your vitamin levels are stable.

People with Darker Skin Tones Don’t Need Sunscreen

Another myth that people perpetuate is that people with darker skin tones don’t need sunscreen to protect their skin, creating a narrative that they’re immune to skin damage. However, this is far from the truth! Although people with darker skin tones have extra melanin protecting them from sun damage, they’re not immune. Any signs of a tan indicate skin damage, and people with darker complexions also develop skin cancer and suffer from photoaging.

Only UVB Rays are Harmful

Among the many myths people perpetuate about tanning, this may be one of the most dangerous myths people share. There are two types of ultraviolet rays, UVA and UVB rays.

UVA rays comprise 95 percent of the rays that come through the Earth’s surface. However, its damages are more related to photoaging and wrinkles. On the other hand, UVB rays only make up 5 percent of the rays that the Earth encounters, but people more commonly associate them with causing skin cancer.

Regardless, prolonged exposure to UVA and UVB rays can be harmful, increasing a person’s chance of contracting skin cancer significantly.

A man with a bronzed skin tan

The Best Tanning Booth for Your Home

If you’re looking to buy a tanning booth for your home, Sun Capsule can assist you. We create some of the finest tanning machines and equipment available in the market. One of our best-selling products, the Vitesse tanning booth is the industry’s leading product, elevating standards and setting new benchmarks. We also provide clients the option to purchase certified pre-owned tanning booths or attain financing for the purchase of a new booth.

Visit our website or contact us today to learn more.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *